The innovative pharmaceutical industry believes in the value of strong, effective relationships with stakeholders across a range of sectors. Stakeholder groups, be they patient groups, health charities, professional associations, academics or the business community, each work to meet the needs of their respective constituencies by providing information, education, and discussion of issues important to Canadians. Given the range of issues in common, it is natural that the pharmaceutical industry and stakeholder groups should work together. However, the industry also recognizes that there exists the potential for conflict of interest, either real or perceived, in the relationship. For this reason, the innovative pharmaceutical industry is committed to engaging in relationships that are transparent, trustworthy and credible. Member companies therefore agree to adhere to the following principles:
- 1. The health and well-being of patients and all Canadians is the first priority of the innovative pharmaceutical industry.
2. The independence and integrity of stakeholders, in terms of their operations, policies and activities, should be assured.
3. All interactions with stakeholders should be conducted in a manner that avoids any real or perceived conflict of interest.
4. Joint activities should be based on mutual respect and trust, with the parameters of such ventures clearly delineated.
5. Members should maintain transparent funding relationships with all stakeholder partners, and require their stakeholder partners to do likewise.
6. Clear lines of communications should be established at an early stage of any undertaking between Members and stakeholders.
7. Members should encourage stakeholders to obtain funding for their operations and activities from multiple sources.